Please start at Day One

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Day 9 - First Mountain Tunnel

The food served at a Japanese breakfast is no different to that served at lunch and dinner. On the breakfast table this morning I had: rice `bucket` and bowl, strips of nori (toasted seaweed strips to wrap around lumps of warm rice) tea pot and cup, small cup of plum wine (!), sliced smoked tuna (I left mine) daikon (large white Japanese radish), egg, pickled plum. At the end of breakfast, Okaasan (I`ve found out that everyone calls the Ryokan owners, who all seem to be female, Okaasan - which just means Mother) gave out some more pickled plums, some salt, and a roll of clingfilm so we could make our own onigiri (rice balls) with our left over rice. That`s lunch sorted today.

 
My walk today from Temple 22 to 23 took me through my first mountain tunnels. Japanese roads don`t usually have pavements for pedestrians, but at the entrance to one of the tunnels there was a button, and I had to stop for a few minutes to translate the instructions next to the button, I didn`t want to set off an emergency alarm. Finally, I pressed the button and it illuminated a large neon sign above the entrance to the tunnel to warn motorists that there was a pedestrian or cyclist in the tunnel.

 
A couple of ladies shouted at me from inside a shop across the road. I don`t know what they sold, if anything, inside the shop there were just four life-size Japanese adult dolls in glass cases. They sat me down and gave me hot tea and biscuits. I was warned that I might not understand the Shikoku accent, and one of the ladies spoke in a way that I could not understand. She didn`t seem to mind though, she just chuckled while her friend translated in an accent that I could nearly understand. They told me the name of the `shop` was chou-ai-sho, which I think means "place of loyalty / devotion". A few minutes walking later and I am in Temple 23, it is not a mountain temple, but it is almost as impressive. The temple compound is laid out on a cliff-side with views out towards the sea.

 

 

 
I am staying at a business hotel this evening, it is basic, no internet. It feels too quiet after the communal meals, shared baths, and the whole social aspect of the Ryokan. On the other hand, I can eat, sleep and bath when I want, and have a shower in the morning - which is not allowed at the Ryokan.
  • Distance walked today = 31.5k
  • Distance walked so far = 158.1km
  • Temples visited today = Temple 22, Byoudouji; Temple 23, Yakuoji
  • Koban visited today = 1 visit to Koban near Temple 23, in town of Hiwasa, but no one home.
  • Accommodation = hotel ¥4800, Business Hotel Cairns, Hiwasa, Tokushima-ken 〒779-2305
  • Expenditure today = two temple stamps ¥600, can of coffee ¥120, evening snacks ¥705, Japanese beer and Sake ¥442, two more pairs of decent batteries ¥740, new pen ¥158
  • Settai = tea and biscuits

 
日本の朝食は、夕食とあまり違いがなかった。僕の朝食のメニューは、ご飯のおひつとご飯茶碗、のり(ご飯に巻く焼き海苔)、茶碗と急須、小さなカップの梅酒(!)、酒の燻製(僕は残した)、大根(日本の大きな白いラディッシュ)、卵、梅干。食後にはお母さん(みんなが旅館の女主人をこう呼んでいるようだ。お母さんの意味は母親)が、もっと梅干や塩、ラップを用意してくれるので、残りご飯でおにぎりを作ったら、もう今日のお昼の心配はしなくてもいい。
今日は、22番目と23番目寺の間で最初の山のトンネルを抜けた。日本の道は、あまり歩道がちゃんと確保されていないが、トンネルの入り口にボタンがあって、その隣にある説明を読むのに数分立ち止まらなければいけなかった。緊急用のアラームだったら鳴らしたくなったので。ついに僕がボタンを押すと、頭上の大きなネオンに明かりがつき、トンネルの中に歩行者や自転車に乗った人がいることを、運転手に知らせる仕組みになっていた。

 
道の向こうのお店の中から、女性が何人か僕に向かって何か叫んだ。彼女たちが何を打っているかわからなかったが、ガラスのケースに入った等身大の日本人の人形があるのがわかった。彼らは僕を招いて、温かいお茶とビスケットをご馳走してくれた。僕は四国の訛りがわからないかもしれないとお断りをしておいたけど、女性の一人が話していることがやはりわからなかった。彼女は気にしない様子だったが、彼女の友達が僕がわかりやすいように説明してくれたときに、くすくす笑っていた。彼らはお店の名前が「寵愛荘」だということを教えてくれた。多分、「忠誠・献身」といった意味だろう。そこから数分歩くと、23番目のお寺に着いた。山中にある寺ではなかったが、とても印象的だった。お寺は岸壁の端に建てられていて、そこから海が見渡せた。
僕はこの晩、ビジネスホテルに泊まった。とても簡素でインターネットも無かった。共同の食事やお風呂がある、人との交流がある旅館に比べて静か過ぎるように思った。その反面、自分の好きな時間に食べたり、寝たり、お風呂に入ったり、朝シャワーを浴びたりすることは旅館ではできない。

 
今まで歩いた距離:158.1キロメートル
今日訪れた寺:22番平等寺、23番薬王寺
今日訪れた交番:23番目の寺の近くにあった交番 日佐和町で。 無人。
今日の出費:2寺分の御印 600円、缶コーヒー 120円 、ホテル代 4800円、夜のつまみ705円、ビールと酒 442円、電池二組740円、ペン158円
接待:お茶とビスケット

No comments:

Post a Comment