Please start at Day One

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Day 8 - Temple Stamps and Large Dinners

Breakfast was very early, we were finished by 6am, and I was outside shortly afterwards, walking in the chilly morning air. I stopped at one of the roadside vending machines to buy a can of hot coffee, mainly to warm up my hands. A man who stopped at the same machine handed me 5 small oranges as a gift.

Temples 20 and 21 today are both mountain temples, difficult to reach, but well worth it, with impressive scenery. The ladies in the Temple Stamp office at Temple 20 were very chatty when they found out I was from England. One of them explained the three pieces of calligraphy that they write on each page. The central piece, which they always do first, is the name of the Buddhist deity associated with the temple, the upper right hand side piece is an acknowledgement that I have visited the temple to offer my respects, the lower left hand side piece is the name of the temple. The other lady told me that she had a Yorkshire Terrier and that she would like to visit Yorkshire, however, a bus party then turned up which meant they were suddenly very busy and our chat was over.



The evening meal in the ryokan was a lavish affair. A large dining room, with no chairs, but cushions set at inviduals tables for the men on one side of the room, and at two large communal tables for the ladies on the other side of the room. 
There is an art to sitting cross-legged while wearing a Yukata, and not embarrassing the people sitting opposite. I counted at least 15 items on my table: rice bowl and rice 'bucket' with lid on, tea cup and pot, miso soup bowl, dish with konnyaku (a jelly-like food made from devil's tongue starch), chawan-mushi (a custard type dish  steamed in a tea-cup - but usually containing shrimp or chicken etc - I left mine), dish with fruit, another with grated yam, a separate one for tempura, for tofu, for some okra, for steamed vegetables, a bowl of cucumber and wakame (seaweed) salad, some pickles....

Having sent the iPad away, I am now without an alarm clock, so I knocked on the door of the chap next to me and asked him to give me a shout in the morning in time for breakfast. He looked very confused but eventually agreed. When I returned to my room and checked my electronic dictionary I realised I have confused the verb for "to shout / to call", with the verb for "to swim", so maybe he thinks I want to go swimming with him at 05:30 tomorrow morning.
  • Distance walked today = 24k
  • Distance walked so far = 126.6km
  • Temples visited today = Temple 20, Kakurinji; Temple 21, Tairyuuji.
  • Koban visited today = 1 visit to Koban between Temples 19 and 20, in town of Katsuura, but no one home.
  • Accommodation = ryokan including dinner and breakfast ¥6615,  Sakaguchi Ya, Anan City, Tokushima-ken, 〒771-5173
  • Expenditure today = two temple stamps ¥600, can of coffee ¥120, decent batteries ¥336, vitamin drink ¥150
  • Settai = oranges
朝食はとても早い時間だった。僕たちは午前6時までに食べ終えてすぐに外に出て、朝の冷たい空気の中を歩き始めた。僕は手を温めるために、道沿いの自動販売機で缶コーヒーを買った。同じ販売機に立ち止まった男性が、5つの小さなみかんをくれた。
20番目の寺の社務所にいる女性たちは、僕がイギリスから来たと解るととてもおしゃべりになった。女性の一人が、各ページに書かれた3つの書の説明をしてくれた。真ん中の書はいつも最初に書かれ、その寺に由縁のある仏の名前である。右上の書は、僕がこの寺に参拝したことの証であり、左下はお寺の名前。別の女性は、ヨークシャーテリアを飼っていて、ヨークシャーに言ってみたいと話したりしていた。それからすぐにバスから団体客が現れ忙しくなってしまったのでおしゃべりはそこで終わり。
旅館で出た夕飯は豪勢だった。椅子が無い大きな居間だったけど、男性客のためのテーブル各テーブルには座布団が置かれていた。女性客には大きな共同テーブルが2つ置かれていた。食事の内容は15種類以上はあった。ご飯とおひつ、茶碗と急須、味噌汁とこんにゃくのお惣菜(こんにゃくとはゼリーのような見た目の、コンニャクイモから作られた食材)、茶碗蒸し(カスタードみたいな料理で、茶碗の中に蒸されている。だけど、通常はえびや鳥などが入っている。僕は残してしまった)、果物が使われた料理、とろろ芋、てんぷら、豆腐、オクラ、蒸し野菜、きゅうりとわかめのサラダ、お新香…

iPadを送ってしまったので、僕にはアラーム時計がない。僕は隣の男性のドアをノックし、朝食時に起こしてほしいと頼んだ。しかしながら、彼はとても困惑した様子だったので、僕は部屋に戻って電子辞書で調べてみたら、「起こす」と「泳ぐ」という動詞を間違って使っていて、彼は僕が明日の朝5時半に一緒に泳ぎに行きたいと思っているのではないかと思う。
今日歩いた距離:24キロメートル
今まで歩いた距離:126.6キロメートル
今日訪れた寺:20番鶴林寺、21番太龍寺
今日訪れた交番:19番目と20番目の寺の間にあった交番 勝浦町で。 無人。
今日の出費:2寺分の御印 600円、缶コーヒー 120円、電池 336円、ビタミンドリンク 150円、旅館(夕・朝食付)6615円
接待:みかん

No comments:

Post a Comment