Please start at Day One

Saturday 5 March 2011

Day 5 - Mountain Temple

The route to Temple 12 starts from behind the main hall at Temple 11 so I had to re-trace my steps back there, carefully, from my hotel. It was a clear sunny day and I was hot when I reached Temple 11 so sat down for a few minutes to take off my fleece, adjust my pack, and apply plaster tape to a couple of points on my feet that were threatening to become blisters.

The path behind the main hall immediately enters the mountain forest and climbs steeply. For the first few minutes walking, in every direction you look there are small shrines, wooden and stone path markers, Henro signs, trinkets and talismans hanging from trees, and countless statues with offerings in front of them. The forest vegetation is thick, blocking most of the bright sun, and the gloomy interiour has a magical feel to it, I expected to see Elves. The shrines, statues and Henro talismans were encouraging at the start of what I expected to be a difficult day. All the route so far had been on asphalt, this was the first off-road path, and the steep forest trail quickly turned into small steps, then into bigger steps and after 10 minutes my left knee was feeling the strain. The walking staff had only been part of my Henro outfit so far, I carried it, rather than used it. Now was the time to start putting my weight onto it to relieve the pressure on my joints. However, I was still dreaming of Elves and didn`t realise until a few more weary steps later, that I wasn`t even holding the staff, I must have left it behind it Temple 11.

Some people believe that the staff represents Koubou Daishi, the monk who trained at, established, or visited these temples, and there are certain rules about taking care of the staff: when you stop for a rest you should take care of the staff before yourself, wash the staff at the end of the day, don't tap the staff on bridges ...etc,  so I could not just leave it there. On the other hand, it is just a stick I bought from the gift shop at Temple 1, I could buy another one at the next temple. After some deliberation, I went back for Koubou Daishi. And I cimbed back up the weary, and now familiar steps.

Unexpectedly, I caught up with Rex and Rachael. They are carrying a lot of extra weight in their packs because they are camping out, and they had a difficult day today so we stopped for plenty of breaks, but I was glad of the breaks too as this was a very tough walk. By the time we reached Temple 12, I rushed straight to the stamp office before it closed for the day. The Temple is in a spectacular setting near the top of the mountain and there was snow and ice on the ground; the scenery was breathtaking, well worth the blood, sweat and tears spent in getting there. Unfortunately, I still had some distance to get to my Ryokan for the evening, and I was concerned about getting lost in a cold dark mountain forest, so I thumbed a lift with a mini-bus Henro tour party to the Ryokan. I arrived at the Ryokan quite late and didn't have time for a bath before dinner, and the water was a bit cool after dinner.
  • Distance walked today = 14.5km
  • Distance walked so far = 57.3km
  • Temples visited today = Temple12, Shousanji.
  • Koban visited today = nil, but as I left me hotel this morning I took a route which, according to my map, should go right by a Koban, but there was just a plot of derelict land.
  • Accommodation = Ryokan stay including evening meal and breakfast ¥6615, Nabeiwa Sou, Kamiyama Town, Tokushima-ken 〒771-3421
  • Expenditure today = bottle of Pocari Sweat ¥150, Temple Stamp ¥200
  • Settai = sweets from Rachael and Rex, and a lift from Temple 12 to the Ryokan.


12番目の寺(焼山寺)は、第11番目の寺(藤井寺)のお堂のすぐ裏だったので、僕はホテルからもう一度同じルートを戻らなければいけなかった。その日は快晴。第11番目の寺に戻った時はとても暑かったので、僕は少し休憩してフリースを脱ぎ、荷物を整えて、絆創膏を足のマメが出来そうな所に貼った。

お堂の裏から続く道は、すぐに山の森林地帯と急な斜面に入っていった。最初に数分間歩くと、どの方向を見ても、小さな神社、木や石で出来た方向標示、遍路標識、数珠や御札などが木の枝に吊り下げられ、数え切れないほどの仏像の前にお供え物が置かれていた。森には草木が生い茂っていて、太陽の光を大方遮っている。その薄暗い光景が神秘的で、今にも妖精が出てきそうだった。神社や仏像、遍路の御札は、少し大変な一日になるだろうと予想していた僕を、最初に勇気づけてくれた。今までアスファルトの道を歩いて来たので、ここは初めての細道で森の坂道は突然、緩くなったりきつくなったりしたので、10分ぐらい歩いた後には左のひざに負担を感じ始めた。僕の金剛杖は、遍路の衣装の一つとしてこれまで使わずに持って歩いていた。今こそが金剛杖を使うべき時で、これに体重をかけて関節にかかる負担を軽くしようと思った。が、僕は妖精が出てくるのをぼんやり夢見ていたせいだろうか、その後、疲れる階段に辿り着くまで自分が金剛杖を持っていないことさえ気がつかなかった。11番目の寺に置き忘れてきたに違いない。
 
弘法大師ゆかりの地は、人々に信仰されている。弘法大師が修行し、または建て、訪れた寺々には、自分の所持品を大切に扱わなければいけないという、ちゃんとした決まりがある。だから、金剛杖を忘れたりしてはいけなかったのだ。そうはいっても、金剛杖は第1番目の寺の土産物店で買ったただの棒なのだから、次のお寺でまた買えばいいとも思った。しばらく思案した後、僕は弘法大師に従うことにした。疲れる山道をまた引き返したが、今はもう歩き慣れた道になっていた。

レックスとレイチェルが追いついた。彼らはキャンプしながら廻っているので、相当に余分な荷物を背負っている。彼らにとって今日は大変な日で、僕らは何度も休憩を取った。かなり疲れる道だったので、僕にとっても休憩は有り難かった。第12番目の寺(焼山寺)に着いたら僕はすぐに納経所へ急ぎ、閉まる前に朱印を押してもらった。この寺は山の頂上近くの壮観な眺めの中に位置しており、地面には雪や氷が残っていた。息をのむような景色で、血と汗と涙を流して辿り着く場所として十分価値がある。その日は残念ながら、晩に泊まる旅館までまだ相当距離があったため、寒くて暗い山林の中で道に迷うことを心配して、旅館へ向かう遍路ツアーの団体客のミニバスに拾ってもらった。  

歩いた距離=14.5km
歩いた距離合計=57.3km
訪れた寺= 第十二番 焼山寺
訪れた寺合計=12
訪れた交番=なし。でも僕の地図によると、今朝ホテルを出る時に通った道に交番があるはずだった。でもその場所はただの見捨てられた土地だった。
今日の支出= ペットボトルのポカリスウェット 150円、寺の朱印200円、旅館(夕食・朝食付)6615
接待= レイチェルとレックスからもらったお菓子。焼山寺から旅館までのミニバス。
 

No comments:

Post a Comment