Please start at Day One

Thursday 3 March 2011

Day 3 - Temple Lodging

I am starting to see familiar faces already, of people walking at a similar pace to me. I passed Rex and Rachael on the road today, and I walked with a Japanese man from Temple 3 to 4. Despite telling him that my Japanese is poor, he continued chattering away quite happily, and very quickly. I was only catching about one word in ten, nodding politely and smiling, but he was very patient with me, and when he saw that I was still looking bemused as he was telling me something important, he would slow down, repeat it seven times, do some sign-language, we would consult my electronic dictionary, and eventually I would understand.


At Temple 3 I saw the reflection of my face in the water at the bottom of the well (Temple 3 is Konsenji - "Gold Well Temple") which according to my guidebook means I will live to be 92. At Temple 6 I arrived at the same time as a coach party of Henro, so it suddently became very busy. It takes about 10 days to complete the pilgrimage by by coach, so this is a more convenient option than walking the entire route, much cheaper and quicker, although it meant I had to wait in a big queue to get my book stamped.

I bought a bottle of a Japanese herbal drink in a small shop between Temples 5 and 6. I couldn`t read the Japanese writing on the bottle, the drink smelled and tasted foul, but the bottle had a picture of 10 different herbs so I`m sure it was good for me. As I was leaving the shop, the lady grabbed a bag of cakes from the shelf and thrust them into my hands saying "O Settai" (a gift to pilgrims), I was very thankful as I had started to feel a bit rough and needed an energy boost.


I left my (heavy) rucksack at Temple 6 while I carried on to Temple 7 which was only 1.4km away, and then returned to Temple 6 Anrakuji, to stay in the temple lodging. I had thought that a temple lodging would be an austere experience, but they had excellent facilities: washing machines and dryers, I spent 15 minutes on an electric massage chair, and they had very posh toilets, with heated seats, warm jets of water, an air-dryer for the nether regions, and even buttons to press to make the seat and lid go up or down automatically all from a remote control on the wall of the cubicle. I thought that the temple diet would automatically be vegetarian, but my place at the dinner table had a big sign warning the staff not to serve me fish or meat - which all the guests were eating - but the food was excellent, similar standard to the Ryokan.

Before dinner I had opened the door to the bath, and had a two second moment of panic as I saw there was already a middle aged Japanese chap with a bald head and a red puffy face, as though he drank a lot, sitting in the bath. It would have been rude, and cowardly, to walk away so I strode in confidently and was glad of my "practise run" the night before when I had the Japanese bath to myself, so I knew about washing myself first etc. The man grunted something at me, and I was not sure if it was a "Go away" grunt, or a "Hello, please do come and join me" grunt so I took a chance and jumped in next to him. I was concerned about my tattoos. Quite unremarkable in London, but they still turn heads in Japan as only Yakuza (Japanese Mafia) get tattoos, and some public baths prohibit people with tattoos for this reason. A few minutes later another young Japanese man entered the room and started to shower, he received the same grunt from from the older man, and returned it, then stepped in with us. He tried talking with me, and I made an effort, but hadn`t brought my electronic dictionary into the bath so we faltered fairly soon and he gave up. The water was very hot and I think I stayed in too long as I felt a bit sick when I got out.

At dinner, I saw Grunt-san again, he was still sweating from the bath and constantly wiping his head. He was in one of about six middle aged couples staying at the temple lodging, and this appeared to be quite a treat for them. They were all chatting and laughing, obviously enjoying the experience, and they were knocking back a fair amount of Japanese lager (which they had to pay for separately) and also Sake, but in normal size glasses, not in the usual thimble sized amounts. I had to get up at about 4am to visit the toilet and I bumped into Grunt-san again, he was looking slightly ill.

  • Distance walked today = 18km
  • Distance walked so far = 21km
  • Temples visited today = Temple 3, Konsenji; Temple 4, Dainichiji; Temple 5, Jizouji; Temple 6, Anrakuji; Temple 7, Juurakuji.
  • Koban visited today = nil
  • Accomodation = temple lodging including evening meal and breakfast ¥6500, Temple 6 Anrakuji Shukubou, Kamiita, Tokushima-ken  〒771-1311
  • Expenditure today = bottle of strange herbal drink ¥140, laundry ¥300,  five Temple Stamps¥1500
  • Settai = bag of cakes!


そのうち、僕と同じくらいで歩く人々が、なじみのある顔ぶれになっていった。
今日は、レックスとレイチェルを道で追い越し、3番目と4番目の寺から日本人の男性と歩いた。男性には、僕は日本語が乏しいことを伝えたにも関わらず、彼は楽しそうに、そして早口でおしゃべりを続けた。僕は、僕は10分の1ぐらいしか理解できなかったので、失礼にならないようにうなずき、だたニコニコと笑顔を作っていた。それでも、彼はイライラした様子を全然見せず、何か大切なことを話している時に僕が困惑した顔をしていると、彼はゆっくり話しはじめ、7回ぐらい繰り返し、身振り手振りを加えて、それで最後にやっと僕が理解するといった具合だった。
3番目の寺、金泉寺で、僕は井戸の底に溜まっている水に自分の顔が映っているのが見えた。ガイドブックによると、それは92歳まで生きるという事だそうだ。6番目の寺、安楽寺に付いた時、電車で移動している遍路の団体客と一緒になった。電車で移動すれば10日で遍路を終えることができるそうで、全て歩き通すことと比べれば遙かに便利で、安上がりで、時間の短縮にもなる。でも、そうすると、納経帳に朱印を押してもらうのに長い行列で待たなければいけない事になる。
僕は、5番目(地蔵寺)と6番目(安楽寺)中間にある小さな店で、日本の薬草ドリンクのペットボトルを買った。ボトルに書いてある日本語が読めなかったけど、その飲み物はにおいも味も酷かった。ボトルには10種類の薬草の絵が描かれてあって、体にいいことだけは解った。立ち去ろうとした時、店の女性が棚からケーキの入った袋を掴み、突然「お接待」といって僕に渡したので、ちょっと疲れてきて栄養補給が必要だった僕にはとても有り難かった。

僕は6番目の安楽寺に思いラックサックを残し、たった1.4kmしか離れていない7番目の寺に行ってから、また6番目の寺に戻り宿に泊まった。寺の宿はかなり質素なのだろうと思っていたが、予想に反して素晴らしい施設が整っていた。洗濯機や乾燥機があったり、電気マッサージ椅子で15分費やしたり、とてもポッシュなトイレもあった。それは、暖かい便座とお湯のジェット、おしりを乾かす温風と、便座を上げ下げまで、全て小さなスペースの壁に取り付けられたリモートコントロールで自動的に操作できた。
寺の食事は有無を言わず菜食主義だろうと思っていたが、僕以外の宿泊客たちは魚や肉が出されていて、僕のテーブルだけに、この客には魚や肉は出さないように、と書かれていた大きなメモが置かれていた。食事は旅館と負けず劣らず素晴らしかった。

食事の前、お風呂に行ってドアを開けた時に、僕は一瞬パニックに陥った。そこにいたのは酔っぱらったような真っ赤な丸顔の、ハゲ頭の中年のおじさんが風呂場で腰掛けていたからだ。僕はそこで立ち去ったら失礼だし臆病だ思い、堂々とした態度で中に入った。昨晩1人で日本の風呂に入って、風呂に入る前に洗うことなどのルールを既に知っていたので「予行練習」しておいてよかったと思った。おじさんは何かブツブツと言ったので、僕はそれが「あっちに行け」という意味なのか、「こんにちは、どうぞどうぞ!」という意味なのかよく解らず、様子を見て彼の隣に座った。僕は自分の入れ墨の事を気にしていた。ロンドンでは別に誰も気にしないが、日本では未だにヤクザだけが入れ墨を入れるという認識で拒否されることが多く、入れ墨がある人は公衆のお風呂に入れなかったりする。何分かして、別の若い男性が入ってきて、シャワーを浴び始めた。彼は中年の男性から同じくブツブツ言われて何か返事をし、仲間に入ってきた。若い男性は僕に話しかけようとして、僕も理解しようと努力してみたけれど、電子辞書をお風呂に持ってこなかったので、僕らはすぐに困った感じで会話を諦めてしまった。お風呂のお湯はとても熱くて、浸かりすぎてしまったのだろう僕は風呂から上がる時にちょっと具合が悪くなった。

夕食の後、僕はあの「ブツブツおじさん」と会った。彼はまだ風呂上がりで汗をかいていて、何回も頭をぬぐっていた。彼は寺の宿に泊まっていた6組の中年夫婦のグループの1人で、皆とても満喫していようだった。彼らはおしゃべりし、笑い、目に見えてこの経験を楽しんでいるようで、(別料金の)ラガービールと、酒を小さなおちょこではなく、普通のグラスに結構な量を飲んだ後に酔っぱらってしまった。次の朝4時頃トイレに行った時に、またあの「ブツブツおじさん」を見かけたが、彼はちょっと2日酔いで具合が悪そうだった。

歩いた距離=18km
歩いた距離合計=21km
訪れた寺= 第三番 金泉寺、第四番 大日寺、第五番 地蔵寺、第六番 安楽寺、第七番 十楽寺
訪れた寺合計=7
訪れた交番=なし
日の支出= 薬草ドリンクのペットボトル 140円、洗濯 300円、宿坊(夕食・朝食付)6500円、朱印(5寺分)1500
接待=ケーキ一袋!
   
   

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment