Near the end of the climb I caught up with a Buddhist Priest who was standing for a minute to rest. Professor Tanaka spoke excellent English, without an American accent. He told me that he had spent years teaching Buddhism and Macrobiotics in the US and the UK a long time ago. He had been involved with an organisation called the East-West Foundation based near Old Street in central London, small world!
- Distance walked today = 27.5km
- Distance walked so far = 619.5km
- Temples visited today = Temple 60; Yokomineji, Temple 61; Kouonji, Temple 62; Houjuji, Temple 63; Kichijoji.
- Kouban visited today = nil
- Accommodation = Hotel and breakfast ￥6,100, Saijo Urban Hotel, Saijo City, Ehimeken 〒793 0030
- Expenditure today = train fare from Iyo Himi near Temple 63 to Iyo Saijo for the hotel ￥200, evening food and sake ￥1646, and out again for an ice cream ￥296, four Temple Stamps ￥1200.
- Settai = bean-paste bun, at Temple 60 a Japanese car-henro was chatting with myself and another young Japanese walking-henro who I saw at a couple of Temples yesterday, he then gave me and the young walking-henro a ￥1000 yen note each and said it would pay for a big bowl of udon noodles, the calligrapher in the stamp office at Temple 60 gave me a hot ginger drink which was very warming, the staff in the hotel this evening gave me a hotel small bath towel to keep as a gift.