Please start at Day One

Wednesday 2 March 2011

Day 2 - Ferry to Shikoku, Temple 1 Gift Shop

The hotel breakfast was a buffet selection of both Japanese and Western style food.  I chose a big dollop of what looked like soggy scrambled egg, some noodles, and some seaweed, but I also grabbed a couple of more familiar bread rolls and a croissant just in case.

Having noodles for breakfast took me back to my student days, but I returned for more; I had already paid for the breakfast so decided to fill myself up as much as possible to save money on lunch.

It took me about half an hour to walk to the ferry port, I haven`t quite mastered Japanese pedestrian crossings yet. Even when they start "chirping" and the green man is showing, I still had to dodge lorries and motorbikes. On the first occasion I nearly reached for my warrant card to remonstrate with the biker, but I remembered that I was not in London and I don`t know enough Japanese to give someone a stern telling off, he sped off down the pavement away from me anyway. After this happened at virtually every crossing, I decided that either, every driver in Wakayama is dangerous and has no regard for the law or, which is more likely, the laws are different here and a green man only signifies, "You can try crossing now Pedestrian-san, but don`t expect the traffic to stop for you!"

On the ferry from the mainland to Shikoku island, I stayed up on deck watching the scenery pass by, while my fellow passengers marched straight inside to the passenger room. "But you`re missing the view!", I was having an adventure and I am still marvelling at everything new that I see, but to them this was probably just a boring commute. However, after 10 minutes I was freezing so went inside to join them. In the passenger room room there were only a very small number of chairs, and slightly raised sections of carpeted floor, and I was surprised to see adults in public taking their shoes off, sitting cross legged and some even lying flat out on the carpet in their suits. To my Western eyes this was surprising, and looked childish, this is not a criticism, just an observation and something I am not used to seeing in England, but I relaxed, and joined them.

The hotel staff from last night had booked my next night`s stay in a Ryokan (a traditional Japanese style inn) near to Temple 1, but I had forgotten to mention that I am vegetarian, the Japanse don`t really understand vegetarianism. So before I went to Temple 1, I visited the Ryokan to warn the owner in plenty of time before the evening meal would be prepared. The owner hardly spoke any English, so I tried to explain in Japanese, but she took the news so well that I was concerned she may have misunderstood.

I carried on to start the pilgrimage at Temple 1 and bought all the Henro gear listed below. I felt rather self conscious in my fancy dress initially but decided to go with it. My Henro guide book outlined the proper etiquette to be followed at each temple, but it involved a lot of praying and I would not feel comfortable doing that. I do consider myself to be Buddhist, but I find the more esoteric traditions of Buddhism from India / China / Tibet / Japan etc too difficult for me. I find the Western Buddhist Order much more accessible, and I meditate and sometimes even go in for a bit of chanting, but I can`t say that I ever pray. I lit some candles and incense, had a quiet reflective moment, then took loads of photos, I spent more time in the gift shop than in the actual temple.

As I was leaving Temple 1 I spoke with two other Henro: Rex and Rachael, who thankfully spoke English - which means that I don`t have to think before I speak(!), and we walked together to Temple 2. They are planning to camp out and I was slightly jealous of their spirit of adventure. After lighting some incense and candles at Temple 2, and hoping no one would notice I wasn`t praying, I took some photos then went to the office to get my book stamped. The book is stamped and written in (with beautiful calligraphy) to prove that you have visited each temple, and this was my first opportunity to watch the graceful calligrapher in action, because Temple 1 sells the book ready-stamped!

I returned to the Ryokan, passing by a place where, according to my guide book, there should be a Koban, but I couldn`t find it, where`s a policeman when you need one to ask directions? I had seen a Railway Police office at Tokushima Train Station and had spare time before my train, but the office was empty, I`m not having much luck with the `meeting the Japanese police` aspect of this trip so far.

Staying in a Ryokan is a ritual. The owner gave me instructions. Shoes come off just inside the front door before stepping into slippers up on the raised part of the floor. I was shown, through sliding doors, into the tatami room - where even the slippers have to come off too, and the first thing I noticed was the lack of a bed. The owner showed me a cupboard with a folded up futon and explained that when I was ready I should lay out the bedding myself. She pointed to a folded up Yukata, which is like a simple informal lightweight Kimono and told me to change into it and that it was ok to wear it everywhere in the Ryokan, and even to dinner. She told me that the bath was ready now, but that it was important I should wash myself at the shower first and only step into the bath once my body was clean. I must have looked baffled because she then spoke her first excellent English sentence, "Please, just relax here."


I followed all her instructions, including the one to relax. The bath was bliss. Made of black stone with an impressive rock arrangement at the side, it was hot and deep, with a low window looking out on to a tranquil japanese garden, it was meant to be a shared bath but I was the only male guest so had it all to myself. The evening meal was impressive, a large selection of small dishes. I made broken conversation with the other guest at dinner, and she pointed out that the noodles I was eating had fish in, she pointed to them, but I carried on eating. This was a totally different experience to my previous night in the Western style hotel, and I felt that I had properly arrived in Japan.

  • Distance walked today = 3km
  • Distance walked so far = 3km
  • Temples visited today = Temple 1, Ryouzenji; Temple 2, Gokurakuji.
  • Koban visited today = nil
  • Accomodation = including breakfast and dinner ¥6500, Ryokan Kadoya Tsubakiso, Bando, Tokushima-ken 〒779-0230
  • Expenditure today = Ferry to Tokushima ¥2000, lunchtime snacks: two rice balls ¥200, huge apple ¥185, bottle of Japanese isotonic drink¥180, painkillers for my two day headache ¥700,  Henro outfit in total was ¥18540 but I cannot remember what I paid for each item, the more expensive items were the Noukyoucho (stamp book), Wagesa (stole, similar to a priest`s attire), Kongouzue (walking staff), Zudabukoro (bag to keep the Henro bits in), Osame fuda (name-slips, whose function at the temples I don:t fully understand, but they are also given out to people who give you "O Settai" - gifts to Henro), Hakui (the traditional white vest), Sugegasa (conical sedge hat), the other cheaper items were: a poncho, incense, and lighter, Temple Stamp fee for Temple 2 ¥300
  • Settai = the Ryokan owner saw me admiring the calligraphy hanging on the walls and proudly told me that it was her own brush-work, she gave me two postcard sized prints of her calligraphy.



ホテルでの朝食は和食と洋食のビュッフェだった。僕はべちゃっとしたスクランブルエッグみたいなものをたっぷりと、ヌードルとわかめと、そして念のためにロールパンとクロワッサンを幾つか取っておいた。朝食に麺を食べるのは、学生時代を思い起こさせた。朝食は一度払えば、食べ放題だったから、お昼代を倹約するために、食べるだけ食べておくことにした。

フェリーの港までは歩いて30分ほどかかった。日本の横断歩道はまだ全然慣れない。信号の「小鳥のさえずり」音と、緑の人(青信号)が見え始めても、トラックやバイクに気をつけなきゃいけない。僕はもう少しでバイクの運転者に警察証を差しだそうとしたけど、ここはロンドンではないし、自分は誰かに厳しく注意できるほどの日本語も知らない事を思い出した。横断歩道をわたる度にこんな事が何回かあった後、僕は、和歌山のドライバーは危険で法律など気にしないか、ここでは法律が別にあって、緑の人(青信号)は、「歩行者さん、渡ってもいいけど車が止まることは期待しないでね」という意味なのだ、と思うことにした。
 
本州から四国に渡るフェリーでは、同乗者達がすぐに船内へ移動していっても、僕は外のデッキに残って通り過ぎていく風景を眺めていた。「君たちはこの景色を見逃しているんだよ!」僕にとっては冒険で、観るものが何もかも新鮮で驚きの連続であるけれど、きっと彼らにとってはただのつまらない交通手段なのだろう。でも、10分も経たないうちに外にいるのが寒くなり、まもなく彼らの仲間入りをした。乗客席はいくつかの座席しか無く、カーペットが敷かれている段差のあるスペースがあった。僕がそこで驚いたのは、大人が公衆の場で靴を脱いであぐらをかいていたり、スーツを着たままカーペットに寝転がっている人たちまでいたこと。西洋人の視点から言えばこれは驚くべき事で、子供の行動みたいに見え、これは決して批判ではなく、僕の客観的な感想であり、イギリスでは絶対あり得ないことだ。でも僕は気楽に考えて彼らの仲間入りをすることにした。


昨晩のホテルのスタッフが、次の晩に泊まる旅館(伝統的な日本の宿)を1番目の寺の近くに予約してくれた。でも僕は自分がベジタリアンだと言うことを伝え忘れていた。日本人はベジタリアンの事をあまり知らないと思う。だから、1番目の寺に行く前に旅館へ行き、夕食までたっぷりと時間がある時に宿の女将に伝えに行った。女将は英語がほとんど話せなかったので、僕は日本語で説明を試みた。ちゃんと伝わっているかどうか心配な気持ちを察して、女将はよく話を聞いてくれた。

1番目の寺では、写真にある遍路装備一式を購入。最初はこれらの衣装を着るの照れくさい感じがしたけど、やっぱり着ることにした。僕の『遍路ガイドブック』にはお寺での正式な作法が書いてあったけど、そこには祈祷の仕方が沢山書いてあり、何となくしっくり来なかった。僕は自分を仏教徒だと思っているが、インド、中国、チベット、日本などの仏教における、より神秘的で難解な伝統的な部分は僕には難しすぎると感じている。なので、僕には西洋における仏教のやりかたの方が理解しやすく、座禅や少しはお経を読んだりもするけれど、読経をしたことがあるとは言えない。僕はロウソクと線香に火を付けて、静かで厳かな時を過ごした。それから沢山の写真を撮り、お寺よりもっと長い時間をお土産店で過ごした。

1番目の寺を離れる時、僕は2人のお遍路さんと話をした。レックスとレイチェル、有り難いことに彼らは英語を話したので、僕は話をする前に頭の中で一度考えなくてもよかった!僕たちは2番目の寺まで一緒に歩いた。彼らは野外でキャンプする予定で、僕は彼らの冒険心が少し羨ましくなった。2番目の寺でいくつかの線香に火を付けた後、僕が読経をしないことを気づかれない事を願い、それから写真を何枚かとって、納経帳に納経朱印を押してもらいに行った。納経帳は、納経朱印とその寺を訪れた証に、(美しい書で)寺の名前を墨で書いてもらいます。僕にとっては、生まれて初めての見る優美な書の実演だった。なぜなら1番目のお寺で買った納経帳には、朱印と書があらかじめ書かれてあったからだ。 

旅館に戻る途中、ガイドブックに書いてあるのが合っているなら交番の前を通り過ぎるはずだったのだけど、見つけられなかった。道に迷った人がいた時に頼りになる警察官はどこだろう?ぼくは徳島駅で鉄道警察署を見つけて電車に乗る前に立ち寄ろうと思っていたのに、交番は空っぽだった。この旅行で、今のところ残念ながら日本の警察官と会うことが出来ていない。

旅館に泊まるのは儀式のようなものだ。女将が色々と説明をしてくれた。玄関から入ったらまず靴を脱ぎ、それから段差のある場所のスリッパを履く。ふすまを開けてたたみの部屋に入る時は、スリッパも脱がなければ行けない。部屋には行って最初に気づいたことは、ベッドが無いことだった。女将は、押し入れを空けてたたんである布団を見せて、寝る時になったら自分で布団を敷かなければいけないと説明してくれた。それから浴衣を指さして、シンプルでカジュアルな軽いきもので、着替えたら旅館のどこに着ていってもいいと説明。夕食にでさえもだ。女将はお風呂が用意は整っているが、最初に洗い場で体を洗って清潔な体で湯船にはいることが重要なポイントと説明してくれた。僕が困惑しているように見えたのだろう、女将は初めてきれいな英語で、「どうぞ、ごゆっくりなさって下さい」と言った。  

僕は女将が言った説明に全て従い、ゆっくりくつろいだ。お風呂は至福だ。黒い大理石と印象的な岩が脇にアレンジしてあって、熱いお湯と、深い湯船、そして低い窓からは落ち着いた日本庭園が見渡せる。共有のお風呂だけど、僕はたった1人の男性客だったので、ほぼ貸し切り状態だった。夕食は印象的で、沢山の小皿の料理だった。僕は他の客と軽い会話を交わした。彼女は僕の食べている麺に魚が入っていることを指摘してくれたけど、僕は構わず食べ続けた。昨晩の西洋式のホテルとは全く違った経験で、僕は日本に来たと言うことを実感した。

歩いた距離=3km
歩いた距離合計=3km
訪れた寺= 第1番 霊山寺、第2番 極楽寺
訪れた寺合計=2
訪れた交番=なし
今日の支出= 徳島へのフェリー 2000円、お昼:おにぎり2個 200円、大きなリンゴ 185円、スポーツドリンク180円、2日連続の頭痛の為の痛み止め 700円、遍路装備 合計18540円 それぞれいくら払ったか覚えていない。一番高かったのは納経帳、輪げさ、金剛杖、頭陀袋、納め札(僕はお寺でのこの使い方がわからないのだが、お接待をしていただいた人にあげても良い)、白衣、菅笠、それからポンチョ、線香、ライター、
旅館(朝食・夕食付)6500円、お寺のスタンプ(2寺分)300円
接待=旅館の女将が、僕が壁に飾ってある書に感心しているのを見て、それは彼女の作品だと説明すると、彼女の書が印刷されてある葉書を2枚くれた。

No comments:

Post a Comment